Monitoring for Mums Appeal: Safer Pregnancies & Births
Baby Lifeline has received applications for funding from the majority of NHS maternity units this year, over half of which have asked for important monitoring equipment and associated training for staff. This support will make a real difference to families across the UK – reducing stillbirth rates, avoiding preventable brain injuries, and giving healthcare professionals the tools to enable them to know when and if it is necessary to intervene.
Baby Lifeline’s nationwide Monitoring for Mums major appeal will raise funds, region by region, for this much needed technology and training, which will help to give mums and babies the best care possible. Equipment funding requests have so far totalled £5 million and keep coming in, so we will need your help.
Visit the official Monitoring for Mums website to see updates on the appeal – www.monitoringformums.co.uk.
- NHS England recommends effective fetal monitoring in labour as one of the key elements of care designed to tackle stillbirth and early neonatal death
- The UK has one of the highest neonatal mortality rates in Europe
- One in every 216 births in 2013 was a stillbirth*
- In 2013, one in every 370 babies died within the first 4 weeks of life*
- NHS spending on clinical negligence cover in England amounts to almost £700 per live birth
*Sources: National Health Service Litigation Authority Report, ’10 Years of Maternity Claims’ pub. Oct 2012; National Audit Office report ‘Maternity Services in England’ pub. Nov 2013; Factsheet 3: Claims Information – NHSLA 2013; State of Maternity Services Report 2013, Royal College of Midwives; *Office for National Statistics 2015
Support this Campaign
Hospitals have asked for our support to give mums and babies the best care possible, enabling them to have the best start in life. Please help us achieve our fundraising target in your community, and nationally. You can set up fundraising pages by visiting our Just Giving campaign page.
If you would like some fundraising ideas, click here for some inspiration.